In our 6 week painting courses, your kids will explore, learn and build confidence with colour
theories, application of colour, composition and layout skills along with further development of their
technical skills and vocabulary.
At Kidz Love Art, we believe that every child deserves to set free their inner artist; every ‘smudged’
line or stroke can easily become part of a tremendous masterpiece that helps your child to develop
Summer Term Course (Level 3):
Suitable and accessible for beginners, as well as building on and further developing the
skills learned in our other Kidz Love Art courses this school year.
- Week 1: ‘The Magic of Colour – light and shadow’ inspired by great still life artists. We will learnabout and recap colour theory, exploring making new colours and mixing tints and tones. We will also practice creating tones using shading and different materials, considering how this can make objects appear 3D. The children will then use this knowledge to practice creating highlights and shadows to show 3D form and create perspective in their artwork.
- Week 2: ‘What do you see?’ inspired by great Impressionist artist techniques and Abstract art. We
will practice using a ‘viewfinder’ to focus in on the details of animals patterns and print, taking a
closer look at how we use brush techniques, texture and tone in our artwork to create depth and
movement. The children will explore using mixed media by combining charcoal and acrylic paint to
create different effects, practicing hands-on blending and smudging techniques.
- Week 3: ‘Something to Say!’ inspired by great Surrealist artists. In this lesson we will begin to
explore how artists share important messages through their artwork on topics which are relevant to
them. We will look at some features of Surrealism art and mixed media Surrealist collages. The
children will then have a go at creating their own mixed media Surrealist collage using a selection of
materials and fun acrylic paint techniques.
- Weeks 4 and 5: ‘Action through Art’ inspired by all of our current learning. During these 2 weeks,
children will create their final masterpiece on canvas and will choose a subject for their artwork in
which they feel they can spread an important message and take action through their artwork in an
area relevant to them. They will first focus on sketching the composition of their masterpiece, practicing different drawing methods and considering perspective, scale and proportion, with the option to include Word Art. They will then apply their advanced colour theory knowledge and learnt mixed media skills to create an image in their own unique style.
- Week 6: Group Exhibition of young artists’ masterpieces. It’s a real celebration where they feel a
great sense of achievement and showcase their final masterpiece to parents!